Monday, January 23, 2012

PRIMAL!

Well, I honestly can't remember what happened or what I did the rest of that week, or the rest of December for that matter!  But I'm sure it looked very little like the schedule Derek and I had made up.  I'll blame the holidays.

Then New Year's came, which is always a great time to start fresh and make big plans.  But then I got sick again, and then Derek got sick...  So, yeah.  It's been a slow start.

BUT...  Last week, we started this new diet/lifestyle thing called the Primal Blueprint (PB).  It's basically low-carb: no grains or sugar or really any processed foods.  And all your fruits and veggies should be local (whenever possible) and organic, your eggs local and free-range, and your meats grass-fed and whatnot.  I don't necessarily buy into all of the reasons WHY our bodies work the way they do (i.e. evolution), but I do believe THAT they work a certain way, and that eating like this makes sense and is good for us.  The PB also talks about how to exercise and sleep and everything, which all makes sense, too, though those changes are actually a lot harder for me to implement...  Oh, well.  We're doing this 21-day transformation thing, so hopefully that'll get easier as we continue.

So far, the food's good, I haven't been hungry, and I feel REALLY good about the way we're eating.  Especially after watching Food, Inc., the documentary about the food industry in the U.S.  If you haven't seen it, you should.  But just know that you'll be disgusted, and expect to make some major changes in the way you shop and eat.  Jus' sayin'.

Oh, and the really cool part is that I lost 7.5 pounds in the first week.  A lot more to go, but that's a stellar start!  I'll take it!

Anyway, I finally made it back to the gym today for a spin class.  Felt great!  I also inquired about personal training while I was there, because I'd love to learn some more functional integrated exercises that are especially beneficial for triathletes, but PT is EXPENSIVE!  I doubt we'll be able to find room in the budget for THAT, so I guess I'll just have to research some exercises online or something...  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment