Saturday, April 16, 2011

Committed

Definition 1: "Bound or obligated."  Last November, as I sat watching the Ironman Florida race online, I decided that if I was ever going to do this thing, it would have to be soon.  And so, when the general registration opened the next day, I was poised, credit card in hand, ready to sign the next year of my life away.

Definition 2: "Dedicated, determined."  I know I'll never set any records or anything, but I do want to prove to myself that I can accomplish this grandiose goal.  And I am determined.  When I set my mind to something, I do it.  I could definitely use a more structured training plan, but regardless, I will get there.

Definition 3: "Placed in a mental institution."  Yes, some people will question my sanity in embarking on this adventure.  Heck, I question my own sanity at times!  I mean, this race is going to take me 15+ hours to complete.  And I'm paying THEM to "let me" do it?!?  Crazy...  So, why again?  Basically just to see if I can.

So, I signed up for this thing 5+ months ago.  My plan was to spend the first 3 months losing the weight I need to lose in order to make it a bit easier on my body to go the distance, then really start training more seriously come spring.  Well, spring is here, and unfortunately, so is the weight I wanted to lose.  Time is quickly getting away from me, and I can't put off training any longer.  So I'm doing what I can to fuel my body properly and get more strategic with my training, but it's not easy.  I feel rather lost without a coach or anyone to train with, but I'll have to learn to push myself.  I'm hoping this blog will help motivate me to plan more purposefully and to complete the workouts I schedule, and I think it'll be a valuable tool and memoir as I approach and complete this goal.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment