Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One Second!

So, I was supposed to do a long ride - five hours - on Saturday.  But... I slept in instead.  Which was awesome.  But then, even though I didn't really feel like it, I loaded up my bike to go out for a 2- or 3-hour ride at least (that's all the time I had before we were supposed to head up to Columbus for a Crew-Galaxy game).  But... it was kind of chilly and a little rainy.  So I just ran a few errands with my bike on the roof of the car, then came home to be lazy.  Sunday we spent the entire day driving to St. Louis, watching a Rams game, then driving home, so that was another workout-less day.  Felt pretty guilty about that, but what can you do?  After that crazy weekend of driving and getting home at about 3 a.m., I was also exhausted yesterday, so I opted for going to bed early instead of swimming after work.  Much needed!

Today, finally, I got back on schedule.  Inertia was taking its toll, and I really didn't want to drive out to Cleves for my time trial, but I knew I needed to since it was the last one for the year and I had that 28-minute goal to try for one last time.  I didn't get there in time to do much of a warm-up, so my legs felt heavy and tired as I started out (and really, throughout).  My tummy was also feeling a little funny, and I was having a bit of trouble breathing because the air was so much cooler than I'm used to.  Basically, I didn't think I was riding very well.  I passed three (albeit very slow) riders, and was passed by only two, which surprised me.  When I glanced down at my watch toward the end, I thought there was no way I was going to reach my goal, but I figured I'd be happy as long as I was in the 28s.  When they read off the times, I learned that I finished in 28:14, one second faster than my previous PR from last week.  Not the 27:59 I was hoping for, but still a PR!  I'm not sure what the record for my age group was this year, but I'm pretty sure I have a long way to go before I can really "compete" with the other women who do this.  Ah, well, a goal for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment