Thursday, October 6, 2011

Brick!

Well, I "wasted" my morning and early afternoon reading an engrossing Dean Koontz book, but I finally headed out a little before 3:00 for what was supposed to be a 4-hour brick workout.  My schedule called for a 90-minute swim, a 60-minute bike, and a 90-minute run, most of which I accomplished.

In the pool, I did 2 x 2000 meters with a 1-minute water break in between.  2.5 miles overall in an hour-and-a-half, so I'm maybe I really can do my Ironman 2.4 in the same amount of time, or at least close to it.

After the swim, I drove down to the bike trail and started part two.  When I set out, my legs (quads in particular) felt heavy and tired, so I tried to just spin a low gear.  I rode 18.5 miles in just over an hour, which I was pleased with.

Then I changed clothes and started my run.  I was feeling pretty tired and a little hungry at that point, and I considered calling it quits, but I really wanted to do this key workout well.  I was losing daylight quickly, though, so I only ran for one hour instead of the hour-and-a-half on the plan.  When I started, my foot was hurting a little, so I stopped to stretch, which seemed to help.  Both knees were also hurting, so I switched from my 3-and-1 run/walk to a 2-and-1 instead.  I wasn't sure how far I went so I didn't know what my speed was till I got home and mapped it out, but I ended up with just under 5 miles in my one hour, which isn't bad at all!

All in all, I'm very proud of myself for getting this done today.  I feel good!  Until I think about the fact that I only did 26 miles today and I have to do 140 in a few weeks...  Yikes!  Hopefully I can keep my momentum and motivation to keep training hard for one more month.

No comments:

Post a Comment