Sunday, May 1, 2011

Flying Pig 2011

Originally, I had planned to run the full Flying Pig Marathon, but I decided to just do the half when I started having some foot and hip pain once we got up to 14 and 16 miles for our long runs.  As soon as I made that decision, I felt immense peace and relief.  I no longer had to worry about injuring myself, plus I had a lot more time and energy to spend on my bike and swim training.

This morning, though, I did feel a little sad that I wasn't running the full marathon.  Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to make that turn when the half-marathoners got to head back down the hill toward the finish line, but I also felt like I was cheating.  A half-marathon no longer seems like a significant accomplishment to me, so I was a little disappointed that I didn't push myself to do the full.  Logically, I know it was the right decision, but emotionally it was tough, since I was able to do the distance two years ago.

I had fun, though.  I've been training with a great group of people, and it was a joy and an honor to meet and run with them, if only for part of the race.  Running and racing with friends is so much better than having to show up at these things alone!  The weather was pretty good, too: even though it was drizzly for awhile, the temperature was perfect and the rain actually felt good.  The only problem was the chaffing that resulted from wet clothes...  But at least I didn't have any other major issues!

I was hoping to finish a little faster than my Heart Mini time of 2:26, so I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to do that (my official time was just over 2:34).  The 2-mile climb through Eden Park was tough, but I think the biggest problem was just how crowded it was, especially for the first few miles.  We were only averaging 12-minute miles in the beginning, and even though we picked up the pace during the second half, it wasn't enough to make up for the lost time at the start.

I realized this morning how much I miss triathlons.  Sure, it's easier to just show up with what you're wearing and run and be done, but the variety and the transitions and all that is so much more exciting.  I also realized that I have a LONG way to go to be ready for IMFL.  I have to run twice that far, AFTER swimming 2.4 miles and biking a century plus?!?  Yeah, maybe it will take me the full 17 hours...  But I'll do everything within my power to get 'er done.  Even if I look like this as I cross the finish line:


(FYI - The first rule for the run portion of the Ironman is actually "No form of locomotion other than running, walking or crawling is allowed."  So, crawling works!  Though hopefully I won't have to resort to that... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment