Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Week 3, Bike 1

So, yeah.  I was planning to get my swim in early so I could rest up a bit before the time trial tonight.  Only it looked like it would be storming again by ride time, so I figured I could just swim whenever and skip the TT.  But then the hourly forecast started looking better and better, and I decided I really wanted to ride tonight, especially since I have to swim again tomorrow and I don't want to overdo it with my shoulder issues. So, I replaced my first swim with a bike ride this week.  I think I prefer biking 3 times a week and only swimming twice to 3 swims and only 2 bike workouts anyway, so I don't feel bad about switching those out.

Anyway...  I rode the 10.25-mile TT in exactly 31 minutes, which is an average speed of just under 20 mph.  Not too terrible when you look at it that way, but I don't like that I was 31st out of 36 riders tonight.  Or that I got beat by a 14-year-old kid.  Or that I was nearly 2 full minutes slower than my PR on the course.  Ah, well.  A humbling beginning, but at least it leaves me plenty of room to improve this season!  Now I'm more motivated than ever to keep this a weekly ride on my training schedule.

One other thought from tonight: I REALLY want a new bike!  And some nice Zipp wheels.  And an aero helmet.  Oh, yeah, and to lose these 30 pounds, which are the real reason I'm not able to keep up with my former self or all the other riders out there.  Yup, definitely got my work cut out for me, trying to lose weight while training for an Ironman...

No comments:

Post a Comment