Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Got 'er Done!

Well, I didn't lift yesterday like I was supposed to, because I had a feature contributor test article to submit before the Hubby and I took off for Detroit to watch some Gold Cup soccer.  (The article was published today, too, which means I'll probably earn my feature contributor title!)  We didn't get home till sometime after 2 a.m., and I had to wake up at 8 to work this morning.  I took a nap after my shift, but I was still really tired when I got up this afternoon.  All this to say: I REALLY didn't feel like running and/or swimming tonight, but I still went!

I got to the gym a little after 8:00 and headed up to the treadmills.  With temps in the 90s today, I opted for running indoors instead, though I was surprised to find that the gym was pretty warm, too.  Oh, well.  I had an easy (E1) 30-minute run on today's schedule, and I decided to run the whole thing without walk breaks, after my 2-minute warm-up.  I took it slow, at a 5.6 mph pace, and it felt pretty good!  The only thing I didn't like was not being able to drink during the run since I only had my wide-mouth Nalgene bottle and would have spilled more than I could get in my mouth.  Again, oh, well.  I survived!

It was pretty late, and I was still tired, so I seriously contemplated skipping my swim and just heading home.  But I was able to talk myself into staying: "You don't have to do it fast or hard," I told myself.  "You just have to do it."  It was only an hour, after all, and the cool pool actually sounded pretty good after the hot run.  So I got in.  After a short warm-up (200 swim, 200 pull, 200 kick), I started a simple main set of 2 x 1000 with 1 minute of rest between.  After a quick cool-down, I'd completed 2800 meters, 56 laps in 61 minutes.  Not bad!  Mostly, though, I'm just proud of myself for gettin' 'er done.  Now if only I could be so diligent with my strength training sessions!

No comments:

Post a Comment