Saturday, June 25, 2011

Overcoming Inertia

After planning and leading Cycle Club rides the last three weeks, I was really excited NOT to have to lead a ride this morning.  I could sleep in, head out whenever I wanted (without having to worry about it getting too hot, either, since the forecast for today was PERFECT), ride the trail however fast or slow I wanted to go, etc.  But when I finally got up and had some breakfast, I settled in to start working on the first of 4 or 5 Tour de France articles I need to write over the next couple of days.  Inertia set in, and I didn't feel like getting up or going out.  Finally, late this afternoon, my coach (aka Hubby) made me go.  I got to the trail and on the bike a little before 6:00, but that still left me plenty of daylight to get my two hours in.  I actually rode a little longer because I wanted to get get 35 miles and I was riding a bit slower than usual.  Not sure why, but it was a challenge to maintain a 16 mph average today.  I kept checking my tires since I've had a couple of flats recently, but they seemed to be holding air just fine.  So, yeah.  Maybe it was because my bike is filthy after riding in the rain last week, or because my chain is dry, or maybe it's because of the pizza I ate last night, or...  Yeah, no clue really.  But I'm planning on cleaning the bike before I ride again (hopefully at the time trial Tuesday if the weather cooperates).  We'll see if that makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment