Tuesday, June 21, 2011

PT & New Shoes

Since my plantar fasciitis has been giving me trouble again, I decided I should go see my physical therapist to see what I can do to nip this in the bud.  At this point, I still have time to take a couple weeks off of running if I need to, but that won't be true for long!  He poked and prodded, told me to massage and stretch it, and said they should be able to help if I want to come back.  I scheduled my first session for Thursday.  Oh, and he also said I probably need new shoes.  The ones I've been running in, the Asics Gel Cumulus, were the same make and model of my previous pair, but these were purchased online and never felt quite right.  From the moment I started running in them, they hurt my feet, and even though I managed to "break them in" somewhat, they definitely hurt now with the PF aggravation.  So, off to Fleet Feet I went.

I tried on the new Cumulus, but they didn't really feel any better than my current ones.  After I ran up and down the sidewalk, the girl at the store asked how they felt.  I said, "They feel like I have plantar fasciitis!  It just hurts."  So she put me in a Brooks Glycerin.  They just felt like slippers - SO comfortable, immediately!  And when I ran in them, my heel didn't even hurt!  I tried one other shoe, which felt pretty good, but just a little heavier than the Glycerin.  Yep, we agreed, time to say good-bye to the Cumulus!  It's funny, because before my Cumuluses (is that the proper plural?), I had several pairs of Nikes.  The Nikes felt awesome when I first switched to them, but then started giving me pain.  When I slipped into the Cumulus after that, they felt amazing, again like slippers.  Now they're hurting me, and my new Glycerins feel magical.  Do they keep changing the shoes that much, or are my feet changing? Anyway, still planning not to run for a couple weeks while I go to PT, but hopefully I'll get to try these babies out before too long.  Wish me luck!

So, after I got my new shoes, I ran into a lot of the folks I used to run with at Fleet Feet.  It was great to catch up with old friends!  But then it was getting pretty late, and I really wasn't feeling like hitting the gym for an hour-and-a-half strength session, so I just headed home.  So lazy...  Tomorrow after work I'll swim, and maybe try to lift a bit, too, we'll see.  I'm off work Thursday and Friday so I can make up a few workouts then, and Saturday looks amazing for a long bike ride!  I'd like to keep Sunday free, but it's looking like I might have to do something then...  Anyway, time for bed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment